Sunday, November 14, 2010

Results: 1sts State Cup Rd 1 - 11/14/10

StCup Rd1. New York Athletic Club  3     Barnstonworth Rovers F.C.    0
A much livelier display by the Rovers did not avert an early exit from the State Cup to a very good NYAC team.  The firsts have dropped 3 in a row for the first time in April 2007! 
They have been held scoreless for 270 minutes, for the first time in the 1st Division era, and as far as I find, ever.
NYAC opened their account 25 min into the match when they broke through the middle of the Rover's D and slotted it past, debutant Chris Schilling.  Rovers 0-1.
Rovers could have tied it shortly thereafter, when Jefferson adeptly controlled a through ball inside the NYAC area, only to be unable to get a finish before winning a corner.
Pat Brown connected on a Colin corner with power, but the goalbound effort was superbly tipped onto the bar and over.
Andy had a close range effort from 3-4 yards out, but aimed at the side netting.
At the first time asking, clinical NYAC doubled their tally seconds before halftime.  A cross was headed out near the D, the NYAC midfielder collected and fired shot that was parried by Chris only to have the 2nd NYAC forward be first to the rebound to finish.  Rovers 0-2.
The second half saw the Rovers battle, dominate possession and create several good chances, but could not find the net.  The best falling to Ajene and Germanese.
Had they scored one, you would have bet on them completing the comeback.  As it was, with Brownie down with a injured ankle, NYAC scored a third in the 88th minute to finish the contest.  Rovers 0-3.
Not the desired result, but certainly an improved performance that the team will build upon.
Team:  Chris Schilling, Mark Kushemba, Pat Brown, George Tagaris, Matt Langton, Colin Marshall, Vidar Ekehaug, Joe Germanese, Ajene Green, Andy Abramovits, Jefferson Vernazza  Subs (all played)  Alan Alcade, Oren Nhaissi

Open Cup Rd 1 -   Barnstonworth Rovers F.C.   2     Pancyprian Freedoms   5  (after extra time)
Nmamdi wonder goal 1-1; Colin penalty 2-1 tied in 90th min with 9 men